It is not possible to connect Google Home to your television physically. However, you can send voice prompts to your television if you learn how to use Google Home with TV. This, in turn, allows you to watch your favorite shows by streaming content from your apps of choice.
Moreover, it allows you to manage a number of your TV functions. Here’s how you can use Google Home with TV but first, ensure that Google Home is established accurately.
Connect Your Google Home via Chromecast
You can connect Google Home with your television in a couple of ways:
- Google Chromecast
- Chromecast Ultra media streamer
The latter must be one that you can plug into any television that has HMDI input. Streaming of content is ordinarily done via a mobile device and then viewed on TV. With Chromecast linked with Google Home, you can access Google Assistant to issue voice commands via your device or Google Home.
Plug the Chromecast into your TV and ensure it is on the same network as your mobile device.
- How to Connect Your Chromecast
- Turn the TV on; ascertain the Chromecast screen displays on your TV.
- Tap on the Google Home App on your mobile device and follow the prompts displayed such as the following:
- Tap the devices icon on the right corner of your mobile device (Android for these prompts). It looks like a box that contains a speaker.
- A new screen comes up with more steps. Tap ‘Add New Device’.
- Follow the Wi-Fi setup instructions that are displayed.
- Once Wi-Fi is established, get back to the Google Home app and tap ‘Continue’.
- A code will come up on both your TV and mobile device. Tap ‘next’ if they match. You will be prompted to choose your region and select a name for your Chromecast.
How to Link Chromecast to Google Home
- Open the Google Home App and scroll to ‘More Settings’.
- Select ‘TVs and Speakers’ and hit the + icon which is on the bottom right of your screen.
- Choose the device you want to pair and follow the instructions displayed. You may use ‘Nickname’ and ‘Room’ to give your device a label and assign an explicit location to devices respectively.
- When the pairing is achieved, tap ‘Done’.
Using Your Google Home-Chromecast Link
Your Chromecast is linked to Google and is ready for use. This set up allows you to use Google Assistant voice commands to cast videos to your television. The following is a list of content services you can use to cast videos to your TV:
Paid Subscription Services:
- YouTube TV
- HBO NOW
- CBS All Access
- Google Photos
Google Home voice commands can only be used with the listed apps. If you wish to view content from other apps, they must be sent to the Chromecast via your mobile device.
Alternatively, you can request Chromecast via Google Home to perform supplementary TV functions. In addition, if a service offers multiple languages, you are allowed to choose the one you prefer to be displayed.
A TV that has the HMD-CEC feature enabled allows you to switch it on or off using Chromecast. You simply use Google Home to tell Chromecast to do the honors. Moreover, Google Home can also switch to the HMDI input the Chromecast is linked to.
This is done when you give a verbal command to begin playing content such as watching a cable channel. If you tell your Chromecast to play something, the TV switches to HMDI mode and starts to play.
A TV with Built-in Google Chromecast
There are some TVs that come with built-in Google Chromecast. This supports content streaming via Google Home and also includes having access to certain control features such as volume control. The pro here is that you do not have to go through an extra Chromecast device to set up.
With a built-in Chromecast, you can use your mobile device for the initial set up using Google the Home app. To connect Chromecast Built-in to Google Home, follow the same steps in the How to Link Chromecast to Google Home section.
Google Home Hub provides you with a multipurpose way of controlling your smart home. It allows you to manage, just via voice commands, your home entertainment as well as home comfort.
This is via the control of devices used to control the temperature as well as security in your home. This works exceedingly well when you have quality devices from brands such as Vera and Ezlo.
The Home Hub connected to Chromecast makes it so much easier to have the convenience you need at home. Linking your Chromecast to the Google Home makes controlling your television very effective.